How To Choose The Best Gaming Monitor For Your Budget (2023)
Modern PC monitors have significantly improved their performance and accuracy in the last decade. Even budget monitors today offer a decent performance, which is plenty for most people. So, if you are in the market for a new monitor for your gaming setup, you have come to the right place.
There are many different types of monitors, including IPS, TN, VA, and OLED, each with advantages and drawbacks. Screen size and aspect ratio influence the user’s viewing experience, desk space, and budget. Additionally, features like built-in speakers, RGB lighting, and port selection are also important.
Thankfully, a wide range of exceptional gaming monitors are available at various prices, featuring advanced technology not found in regular PC displays. So we’ve compiled a list of the top budget-friendly gaming monitors of 2023, along with where you can buy them for the best price!
1. ViewSonic XG2431
Best Cheap Gaming Monitor for Most People
- Impressive ergonomic features enhance user comfort.
- Fast 240Hz refresh rate for smooth gameplay.
- Rapid response time, effective at any refresh rate.
- Relatively low resolution.
- Compact 24-inch screen size.
- Limited native contrast.
The ViewSonic XG2431 stands out as the top budget-friendly gaming monitor choice. It offers an impressive range of features, surpassing even some pricier options. With a speedy 240Hz refresh rate, it provides excellent gaming performance.
While its 1080p resolution and 24-inch screen size might seem limited, these are common characteristics of budget monitors. The lower resolution helps your graphics card maintain high frame rates. Despite its budget-friendly price tag, it boasts solid build quality, and the stand offers excellent ergonomics, allowing for easy adjustments to achieve the perfect viewing position.
One notable feature is its customizable backlight strobing, allowing you to adjust the flicker to your preference, a valuable addition not commonly found in budget displays.
2. BenQ Mobiuz EX2510S
Best Cheap Gaming Monitor for 1080p Gameplay
- Exceptional gaming performance
- Low input lag
- Well-designed OSD menu
- The stand and cabinet design may not appeal to all gamers
- Lack of USB ports
- HDR performance is mediocre
BenQ’s Mobiuz EX2510S is a minimalist panel designed for high-refresh gaming at 1080p. It excels in fast-paced gaming scenarios but may not be as impressive for video and other content consumption.
The Mobiuz EX2510S, with its 24.5-inch screen, native resolution of 1920x1080 pixels, and a native refresh rate of 165Hz, utilizes IPS screen technology. BenQ monitors have traditionally prioritized performance over design aesthetics, and this approach is also evident here.
With support for AMD FreeSync for adaptive sync, it delivers exceptional gaming performance with low input lag. However, the monitor has a stand that isn’t height-adjustable, tilting, or swiveling. Additionally, it does not pivot between landscape and portrait orientations. BenQ offers a 3-year warranty for parts and labor.
3. MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD
Best Cheap Gaming Monitor for 1440p Gameplay
- Exceptional color range, with the widest recorded at 112.19% of DCI-P3 after calibration.
- Strong contrast performance, reaching 1,129.1:1 for an IPS panel.
- High refresh rate of 165 Hz for smooth gaming experiences.
- Quick 1ms response time (GTG) to minimize motion blur.
- G-Sync is Compatible for tear-free gaming.
- Lack of an sRGB mode for color purists despite impressive sRGB coverage of 166.33%.
- The Backlight strobe for motion blur reduction has limitations, including no support for Adaptive-Sync, reduced brightness, and potential ghosting effects.
- HDR performance doesn’t offer a significant image quality improvement over SDR, similar to many gaming monitors.
If you’re a fan of vibrant and colorful gaming visuals, the MSI Optix MAG274QRF-QD is the ideal gaming monitor for your setup. This monitor boasts an extraordinary color gamut, registering an impressive 112.19% of the DCI-P3 color space after our recommended calibration, setting a new record for us. In perspective, achieving 90% of the DCI-P3 color space is already quite impressive, so this monitor stands out regarding color saturation.
Additionally, it delivers robust contrast performance for an IPS panel, measuring at 1,129.1:1 after our calibration. Regarding speed, this 165 Hz monitor kept pace with the 170 Hz Gigabyte M27Q in our testing.
4. Dell 32" 4K UHD Gaming Monitor (G3223Q)
Best Cheap Gaming Monitor for 4K Gameplay
- Lightweight cabinet.
- Effective HDR brightness.
- HDMI 2.1 support.
- Solid color accuracy.
- Dim when viewing SDR content.
- Very high input lag.
- Low contrast ratio.
The Dell 32 Gaming Monitor features a 32-inch display with a native resolution of 3840 x 2160 and an aspect ratio of 16:9. HDMI 2.1 provides a native 4K resolution and a smooth 144Hz refresh rate, making it ideal for demanding PC gaming. It also supports 120Hz for console gaming.
The Fast IPS panel ensures a quick 1ms GTG response time. It’s also compatible with NVIDIA G-SYNC and AMD FreeSync Premium Pro for tear-free, stutter-free, low-latency HDR gaming. It’s also TUV Certified ComfortView Plus, reducing harmful blue light emissions without sacrificing color accuracy or visual clarity.
The gaming-inspired monitor features single-color backlighting and venting for a premium appearance. Its thermal regulation allows for extended gaming sessions, even with graphically intensive games. Its ergonomics are also noteworthy, with a height swivel and tilt-adjustable stand for adaptability to any setup.
5. Samsung 24-Inch CF396 Curved LED
Best Cheap Curved Monitor for Gaming
- Curved screen for immersive viewing.
- Impressive sRGB color coverage.
- It’s surprisingly bright for a budget monitor.
- Includes a mini-joystick controller for user convenience.
- Limited port options.
- Stand only allows tilt adjustment.
- Comes with a modest one-year warranty.
The Samsung CF396 monitor is a budget curved monitor with a curved 1800R screen design, providing an immersive viewing experience with panoramic and bold visuals. Inspired by the human eye’s curvature, it offers a comfortable and enjoyable viewing experience for home or office use.
With Samsung’s Active Crystal Color technology, you can enjoy vibrant and vivid colors on the display. The monitor delivers rich colors and a 3000:1 contrast ratio, ensuring visibility even in dark or bright scenes. With the Advanced VA panel technology that minimizes light leakage, the monitor’s bright panel provides excellent color coverage, making it a standout choice.
The CF396’s 23.5-inch vertical alignment (VA) screen supports a native 1080p resolution with a 16:9 widescreen ratio.
6. Dell S3422DWG
Best Cheap Ultrawide Monitor for Gaming
- Quick response time at the maximum refresh rate.
- Exceptionally low input lag.
- High refresh rate for fast-paced gaming.
- The ultrawide aspect ratio enhances the immersive gaming experience.
- Black smearing is noticeable in dark scenes.
- G-SYNC compatibility issues when frame rates drop below 60fps.
The Dell S3422DWG is an impressive 34-inch ultrawide monitor with a 1440p resolution and a VA panel. Its standout features include excellent contrast and exceptional black uniformity, making it ideal for dark room viewing. It also performs well in well-lit environments, thanks to its effective reflection handling and high peak brightness in SDR (Standard Dynamic Range).
This gaming monitor is excellent, with low input lag, a responsive refresh rate, and appealing gaming features like FreeSync support. Its wide, ultrawide display enhances the immersive gaming experience, and its performance in dark room conditions is notable, thanks to its strong contrast and uniform black levels.
7. AOC CU34G2X 34” Curved
Best Cheap Monitor for Esports Games
- Ultrawide 21:9 format gaming monitor.
- Remarkable gaming performance.
- Spacious 34-inch curved display.
- Provides ergonomic adjustment options for comfortable use.
- Consumes a significant amount of power.
The AOC CU34G2X is a commendable gaming monitor with an ultrawide 21:9 aspect ratio and a 34-inch curved display. It excels in providing impressive image quality, characterized by its high contrast and accurate colors. Gamers will appreciate the speedy 144Hz refresh rate and FreeSync compatibility, making it a solid choice.
The VA panel has a rapid 1-millisecond response time and a “Low Input Lag” feature to minimize input delays in games. Brightness and contrast levels are above average, and the screen exhibits excellent brightness distribution across its surface.
When it comes to gaming, the monitor truly shines, effortlessly handling fast-paced games up to the maximum frame rate of 144 hertz without noticeable delays or visual artifacts. The on-screen menu offers various gaming presets, including FPS, RTS, and racing game options. Users can also create two custom game presets for personalized settings.